METRO SOUTH HOCKEY LEAGUE
GAME RULES 10U SQUIRT, 12U PEE WEE AND 14U BANTAM
1. GAMES ARE 60 MINUTES (INCLUDES WARM UP AND HAND SHAKE LINE).
2. FIRST PERIOD 13 MINUTES STOP TIME. 09-2021 USA HOCKEY RULE
3. SECOND PERIOD 13 MINUTES STOP TIME. 09-2021 USA HOCKEY RULE
4. THIRD PERIOD REMAINING TIME DETERMINED BY THE REFEREES, RUN TIME, LAST 2 MINUTES STOP TIME IF THE SCORE IS WITHIN 2 GOALS.
GAME RULES 6U MITES
1 Coach from each team on the ice to referee unless there is a referee present
no coaches on the ice after the referees are on ice.
4 on 4 on ice
Goalies in net, in goalie equipment, must not laydown until play is near them.
If a player gets a penalty please just remove player from ice and have coach explain why they got a penalty. Replace player immediately.
After a goal have the scoring team clear the blueline and allow scored on team to progress past the blueline. We don’t need faceoffs after every goal.
1:30 buzzer hockey. You can do a faceoff at center ice or have them race to the puck. That is up the coaches.
Only post a 6 goal differential on the scoreboard.
please turn in accurate scores so that divisions can be match evenly.
GAME RULES 8U MITES
Setting up rinks for U8 mites
The moveable boards or rubber bumpers should be placed on one blue line, utilizing the lager ice surface this will give each team access to their own bench.
If you are in a rink with the moveable bumpers it is alright to put 1 or 2 coaches on the ice behind the bumpers to keep them in line. Remember coaches must wear a helmet and skates.
If you have a set up game or the last game when the boards must be broken down, the referee and one coach from each team must be on the ice to set up or break down.
Scores must be kept and turned in so that when we divide the levels we can break the standings into an upper and lower level.
Coaches before each game should get together and decide according to their numbers whether they want to play 3 on 3 with a goalie or 4 on 4 with a goalie.
Coaches should also decide whether they want to play 1, 1 1/2, or 2 minute lines changes.
Coaches should also try to match up lines so that the strongest is not always playing the weakest line (only if you feel one line will dominate). Please inform the referee on your choices.
After a goal is scored the team that scored must clear the zone and the team that was scored upon must be able to clear the blue line before play can continue.
Remember there are no penalties, no offsides, and no icing.1 referee on ice. No coaches except as noted in setting up rinks.
MSHL Player Borrowing Rules
You may only borrow players from your division or a B2 player from 1 division lower. You may borrow MSHL players from another team (preferred) or from your own program another B2 team.
You may not borrow an “A” or “B” level player from your division or a lower division. Borrowing from the wrong divisions or levels may be grounds for a forfeit. If you run into a problem contact the applicable Level Director.
Mite: Bill Dunk
Squirt: Bruce Cornell
Peewee: Mike Plourde
League Secretary: Monica Connolly
MSHL 3-on-3 Hockey Tournament Specific Rules
1. Number of players on ice will consist of 3 skaters and one goalie. Free substitution is allowed. Players must be within 5 feet of players’ area before making substitution.
2. Games are played on an ADM rink (60' x 100')
3. Games will consist of one 20 minute running period. The clock will stop for injury, time outs, penalty shots, or if the ref deems it necessary. Each team will be allowed one-30 second timeout per game. Timeouts can only be called when in possession of puck or after a goal is scored.
4. No slap shots and No checking is allowed at any level. No offsides or icing will be called.
5. When the goalie freezes the puck or a goal is scored resulting in a stoppage in play, possession will be awarded to the defensive team in their defensive zone while the attacking team will be moved back to the neutral zone.
6. Penalties - Play will be stopped on a penalty as according to USA Hockey rules. On the first penalty of the game, the puck will be awarded in the neutral zone to the non-offending team. Every subsequent penalty charged to the same team, in that game, will result in a penalty shot. Non-major penalties will be counted as one penalty. Major penalties will count as two penalties and result in a penalty shot. The person fouled will take the penalty shot. If a goal is scored on a penalty shot the puck changes possession. If a goal is not scored on the penalty shot, play immediately resumes and the puck is live. Players not taking the penalty shot must
remain behind the red line until the shot has been taken. If a goal is scored during a delayed penalty call, the goal will count and no penalty will be assessed. A penalty by the goalie will count against the defending team. If there are coincidental penalties which both result in penalty shots, the team in possession of the puck will shoot last. The puck will be dead after the 1st penalty shot, teams will then line up at the red line and the puck will be live after the second team shoots.
7. Championship game ties will be determined by a shootout. A coin flip will take place before the shootout with the winner deciding whether to shoot first or second. Four players on a team will shoot alternating shots with the most goals winning. If the score is still tied after the first round, the shootout will continue on a sudden death basis. After the initial 4 players shoot, the coach has the option to use different players on the roster or continue with players used in the first round of shootouts. Players will continue to participate in the same order until one-team scores and the other team does not. Again, both teams will have equal number of chances in the second shootout, but the first team to score with an opponent miss, wins the game.
8. Tiebreaker after round robin goes in this order to advance to Championship game. Head to head, goals against, goals for and penalty minutes. In the event of a tie after all tie breakers a shootout will take place between the two teams.
9. The decision of the on ice official is final.